Friday, December 05, 2008

MUSIC moves MIND.

I was walking from the final office bus stop to my house at night. Like always, i was plugged to my music. A lone man walking at night. At some distance i see a house decorated with lights. The light bulbs, of different colors, were placed in parallel lines. With a particular song which was running [argghhh.... i can't remember the song], i just, for an instant, travelled back in time with visual glimpses from the past clouding my mind till i crossed that house.

The glimpses were of the decorated christmas trees that i used to see near my aunt's house when I was a kid. This particular place i.e my aunt's place, has lot of christian families. I used to wait for the day of christmas whenever i realised the month was december. For one, there was food, confectionaries and they were in plenty and another, there was this sense that built up inside that i belonged to that place, the eternal peace i used to find whenever i visited that place, the familiar and friendly faces to greet everytime i was there. There is a hospital near by which used to put up christmas trees with dangling christmas cards and covered with lights, clay dolls placed in small dens or placed over a small area, depicting stories. I was taken to the place by my dad or uncle. At times the entire family used to visit the place.

As I think of it now and that night when i walked past the decorated house, the whole place gives me a sense of security, pleasure, comfort. The security is not in a way that I would be attacked or smacked but it's like the way that there's someone to make you feel connected, important, liked even though you feel you dont need it. The place gives it all to you. That's what's so beautiful. I don't have to say it to anybody or express anything the way I feel for that place. It's hard to describe. I think that is what 'belonging' is all about. Whenever there is a glimpse of the wonderful past you had, if given a chance, you want to get back there, and as fast as you could.

No comments: